Tuesday, October 8, 2013

False Humility

Okay, I know I said I wasnt going to make this an atheist blog but i got inspired for this one. This one is because im tired of false humility that religious people get for thanking god, it's one of the very few things that anger me. There are people that have known me my whole life and never seen me angry but this topic really gets me. I'm scrolling on my instagram tonight and all i see are a bunch of post thanking God for this and that and i got fed up. I have a good analogy that will put my anger into perspective and hopefully change yours.

We've all heard the story of Cinderella, a nice girl that gets treated like shit by her mother while her sisters get the best possible treatment for no good reason. They and the mom have a great relationship. The mom gives them what they want and they are very grateful. Yet, when we read the story we hate the sisters. We see them as arrogant, self-centered, and selfish. Because in the context of the story it is easy to see the neglect of poor Cinderella. We get the whole picture in one frame (book).

Well in our lives it's easy (yet inexcusable) to loose sight of the whole picture. If your thanking "God" for your fortune, your disregardful of others misfortune. Your being just like one of the sister that we all hate in Cinderella. Ask yourself, are you the type of person that would look at the mom and say " wait Mom (God), this isnt fair to Cinderella" or be a normal sister and say "Thank you" and prance away. So when i see people thank "God" on instagram I view them as one of the arrogant, self-centered, and selfish.

Some atheist guy (Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens not sure atm) that i listen to said that when he listens to religious people claims of humility he hears arrogance masquerading in sheep's clothing and that's exactly how i feel here.

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with being grateful, but your animosity to the lack of equality and distribution of luck should out weigh your gratefulness.


No comments:

Post a Comment